If you read my last post, you know that the end of 2015 was a dark, trying time in my life. I am getting much needed help and each day is looking brighter. This isn't happening just from the medication and counseling, this is happening because I am working hard at it. This is why I am calling this "The Year of Sandy!" I don't mean this in selfish way. I am not saying that I don't care about anyone else's needs, but this year is about working on me! And you know what I am realizing, the better I feel, the better I make everyone else feel. It is turning out to be the opposite of selfish!
This year my resolution was to work on making my body and mind healthy. It is broad, but covers everything I am trying to do. I want to lose weight, but I am NOT giving myself a number that I want to reach this year. I want to work out more, but I am NOT telling myself that I am going to work out everyday. What I am doing is making small positive changes that will allow me to accomplish this without it being my sole motivation. Today I am going to show you the things I am doing different this year than last year...
So here it goes, everything that I am working on, with a little fun mixed in because who doesn't need a little fun on a Monday?
1. Regulating my sleep cycle - I am working on getting 8 hours of sleep every night, even on the weekends. I am a night owl and hate the mornings. I stay up way too late and then drag myself out of bed each morning. I am always tired. This year I am fixing this!
2. Meal Plan and Eat Out Less - I am pretty good at meal planning, but really fell off the wagon at the end of the year. So starting at the beginning of the year I started again and it is going great. We have only ordered take out once and that was when we were watching the Patriots game with my parents, so that doesn't count! In my eyes, it was a special occasion, if you can call a game a special occasion!
3. Move My Body - I am rocking this one already! I started working on this one in October when I joined Jazzercise. I LOVE Jazzercise! This is a great workout, but doesn't feel like one because it is fun. I go at least 2X/week while Olivia does dance in the same building and I really enjoy it! I also added in a Yoga class two weeks ago. I am "moving" right along on this goal :)
4. Learn to say No - I am a Yes girl. I don't like to disappoint anyone. I like to help out. I like to be involved. To a fault. This year I am working on being less busy. Having time to just be, relax and enjoy my little family of four. This means I am saying NO. This is a tough one for me, but I will say that the benefits of this are fast showing me how good it is for me to learn this skill!
5. Relax More - This goes right along with #4. I am learning to relax. Even when I would be home, I never relaxed. Ever. I would be up cleaning, organizing, doing whatever as to not sit, be quiet and think. Now I am learning to let things go a little bit. Take a nap, sit and read or play games with the kids and enjoy a little bit more of each day.
6. Read Inspiring Books - I ended the year reading my first book by Brene Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection and I loved it. I then bought her second book in the series, Daring Greatly. I am finding these books extremely helpful in the work I am trying to do personally. I plan to keep up with reading personal development books this year, with of course, some fun books mixed in as well!
7. Be Kind and Understanding to Me - I am not perfect, nobody is. I am so kind to everyone else when they have a problem, but treat myself like crap. This year I am trying to change my self talk to be more kind and understanding. I deserve the same love that I give out to everyone else!
So that's the plan for my 2016! I am excited about it. I have been really working hard at it and I can see the benefits already. I will be talking in more depth about most of these topics in future posts. Think, How I became a morning Person, Meal planning for the family, What I learned from Brene Brown's books, etc. I hope you continue to follow me on this journey
Have a great week! See you next time!